- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canna-oil (vegetable is best)
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1lb butter, salted, room temperature
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk all of the liquid ingredients together until blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients & mix until there are no large lumps. Do not overmix. Gently stir in the rainbow sprinkles until just blended.
- Use a 2-ounce portion scoop & fill each cupcake liner with one scoop. Bake for 15–18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven & allow to cool a bit before removing them from the pan.
- Put 2 inches of water into a medium-size pot, & bring to a boil.
- Place the sugar & egg whites into a small stainless bowl that will sit on top of the pot of boiling water, or use a double boiler system. DO NOT allow the bowl with the egg white mixture to directly touch the boiling water or the egg whites will cook very quickly.
- Whisk constantly until temperature reaches 140°F/60°C or until the sugar has completely dissolved & the egg whites are hot to the touch. DO NOT leave unattended or you will have a sweet egg white scramble!
- Use a hand mixer or pour the egg white mixture into a bowl that is fitted for a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, begin to whip until the meringue is thick & glossy, about 10 minutes on medium-high.
- Place the mixer on low speed, add the cubes of butter, a couple at a time, until incorporated. Continue beating until it has reached a silky smooth texture. If the buttercream curdles simply keep mixing & it will become smooth. If the buttercream is too runny, refrigerate for about 15 minutes before continuing mixing. Add the vanilla & continue to beat on low speed until well combined.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, place a large star tip into a piping bag & fill with the buttercream. Pipe a rosette onto each cupcake & add the sprinkles on top.
- Serve immediately, the same day or keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.