Our August Fireside Chat focused on cannabis and how it can be a part of our sleep hygiene.
Talking points included:
- Cannabis has long been used as a sleep aid, but what is the science behind it?
- Why do some strains or methods work better than others?
- Can cannabis actually keep you awake?
These talking points and MORE will be explored in this event with Dr. Caplan. Catch the reply here to learn how cannabis may be able to help YOU with your sleep quality.
- Goal effect: Relaxing, sleepy, enhanced calm, reduced anxiety
- Choices: Non-Euphoric or Euphoric, Sedating or Calming
- Methods: Vapor > Tincture or Lotion; Occasional use is as effective as daily use.
- Descriptors: “Indica” > 1:1 > CBD ; High myrcene, high beta-caryophyllene, aged cannabis, high CBN, high THC
- Strains: Girl Scout Cookies, Buddha strains, Purple strains, Northern Lights, Bubba Kush, Grape Ape, Harlequin, Master Kush, Cannatonic
- Advice: To avoid discomfort, use a low, comfortable amount of THC. Best when used at the same time daily, & with good sleep hygiene
Take at time of sleep. Expect it to work promptly (within minutes) and typically lasting 1-3 hours
Non-Euphoric Feelings – vape 3:1 CBD:THC
Take minimum inhaled amount until desired effect; Have CBD before and/or after other full-spectrum cannabis to further avoid euphoria
Mild Euphoric Feelings- vape 1:2 CBD:THC
Take minimum inhaled amount until desired effect
Take 30-60 minutes prior to goal sleep time; Chocolate or oil/fat-based product is better than honey or sugar-based options
Non- Euphoric Feelings – select low-dose “1:1” edible at 1:1 CBD:THC (or greater CBD at 2:1, 3:1, 6:1, etc.)
Have CBD before and/or after other full-spectrum cannabis to further avoid euphoria.
Mild Euphoric Feelings – select low-dose (1-2mg) “Indica” edible
Wait 120 minutes before considering additional dose. For more experienced users, begin with larger low-dose options (4mg, 5mg)
Take 20-60 minutes prior to goal sleep time; alcohol-based options are faster onset, but generally less comfortable than oil.
Non-Euphoric Feelings – select low-dose “CBD” tincture at 4:1 CBD:THC (or greater CBD at 6:1, 12:1 etc);
Large doses of CBD are most effective to avoid euphoria (200mg-300mg.)
Pure CBD tincture (minimal THC) is a less effective, but less expensive, option.
Mild Euphoric Feelings select low-dose (5-10mg) edible at 1:1 CBD:THC (or greater THC at 3:1, 6:1, etc)
Apply liberally, 10-30 minutes prior to goal sleep time; May apply to Head/Neck/Back/Shoulders or large muscle groups
Apply cannabis lotion to warm areas with muscle tone. Prepare skin with alcohol for better depth of penetration.
Note: A mix of cannabinoids is critical to ideal relief. CBD alone may work, but combinations work better.